21 April 2011

Pizza

Pizza is a Friday night tradition in our house.  Homemade pizza that is.  By Friday I'm usually tired and don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I used to buy a whole wheat crust at the store because I thought making my own was too complicated and time consuming.  As I started to dive deeper into the actual ingredients in the food I was eating I realized packaged crust, however "whole" it says on the package, became a whole lot of stuff I didn't want to eat, like unnecessary starches and corn syrup.  So finding a quick and easy recipe for crust became a priority.  I found the following recipe and I love it!  Not only is it easy, I can make it when I get home from work and not have to wait a long time to enjoy it. 

Easy Pizza Crust

1 packet (1/4 oz.) of active quick yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs fresh herbs (optional)
cornmeal

Preheat oven to 400.  In a large bowl, add in the yeast and warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves.  Add the flour, salt, honey, herbs (if using), and olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon vigorously until combined.  Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle cornmeal onto a walled baking sheet and press dough into it until thin.  Add the toppings you desire and cook for 20-25 minutes.  You don't have to cook the dough first.

What weekly food traditions do you hold in your house?


image by Eleonora from  Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.