29 March 2012

Collections | Aprons


It hasn't been until recently that I've found an affinity for old aprons.  My collection has been growing due to the fact that I can find them pretty cheap at estate sales. An apron seems to say so much about a person's personality and sometimes their resourcefulness.  Some have detailed stitching and embroidery and others are made out of pillow cases or other fabric scraps.  Each one holds a story of a family in another time.  Dinners, holidays, and parties are threaded in every little flaw.  


These are a few of the favorites from my collection.  I particularly like aprons with big pockets.  I wear them to cook, garden, clean the house, and work in the studio.  The pockets hold anything I need in a moments notice.  


When my favorite girls comes over to make chocolate cookies they request an apron as well, so I had to find a few little versions.  


This little birdie apron has a lot of love.  It has holes and stains, but it is certainly a favorite that makes it hard to share between the two.  

Can you imagine the stories from the women that wore these aprons in their kitchens?

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I spent a lot of time with my great grandmother when I was little and she aprons. And always has to have a blue check one, that gave me. And that blue one started me in collecting vintage aprons when I was quite young. And that blue apron that she gave me hangs in my bedroom and reminds me of a very loving lady to whom I was very fortunate to be her great granddaughter. And I like you wonder the stories behind the aprons. And love finding excuses to wear one when ever I can. Thank you for not making me the only girl who collects aprons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, what a fantastic story. I love that you hung it on your wall. What a wonderful tribute to your great grandmother. I'm glad I'm not the only apron collector either!

      Delete

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.