09 March 2011

Hoe Your Rows



It's hard to believe that spring is almost here. It doesn't feel like all that long ago we were buried under ice and snow (some of you still are!).  Here in the south the trees have started to bud, and the process of playing in the dirt will soon commence.


 


The perennials have already given way in the last week or so to the sunshine and warmer temps.
IMG_0191
I can't wait for the taste of crisp lettuce, fat and juicy tomatoes, and my favorite, the bush beans. I am attempting to bring the garden closer to home this year by converting my very small patch of grass into a square foot garden. This method was developed by Mel Bartholomew. My mom gave me his book awhile ago and I'm finally digging into it.  Why didn't I do this sooner?  As long as you have enough sunlight, a SFG is a practical solution for any urban gardener and Mel's book is full of information if you are new to gardening.  Your library might have it available. 

What I think I'll enjoy most about this garden is how easy it will be to maintain. Since I'm bringing in the dirt and not using the existing soil I can the gauge the ratio of organic matter just right and my weeding will be minimal. (I'm not using the existing soil because our house is a fairly new build and the landscapers merely laid sod over dirt.

As I progress I'll keep you posted!  What are your garden plans for the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.