18 April 2011

Change of Plans

I had a long list of things to do this weekend.  You know the one:  house chores, preparation for family visits, holiday meals, etc.  Then, plans changed.  Usually this leaves me with a little anxiety since I'm the rule follower and the schedule says I must do A, B, and C.  But I fell asleep last night happier than I've felt in a while.  Instead of worrying about not getting the to-do list done, I simply changed it.  I spent more time with a dear friend and had a great heart to heart.  I played with two special girls that reminded me that weekends are not meant for to-do lists, they are meant for play.

This has actually been on my mind a lot lately as I've been reading about un-plugged weekends around the blogishpere.  I know this refers to phone, Internet, and social media usage but I wonder if it can be taken a bit further to include the proverbial to-do list.  The weekends of my childhood were spent playing, cooking, eating, and spending time with family.  I seemed to have strayed away from that.

I'm exhausted today, but filled full of the kind of goodness that comes with spending a day just being, and accepting anything that comes to pass. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Abby - what a lovely weekend you had! I've been thinking a lot lately about how to be more present... I'm reading a beautiful book called Buddhism for Mothers (as I have a little boy 7mths) and its really helping me to appreciate every moment of the day rather than just rushing from one thing to the next. All this constant technology is wonderful but it has a distinct downside too - switching off seems to be getting harder but has become all the more important!

    Thanks so much for popping over to Wicker & Stitch and saying hi - your comment made my day!

    Angela x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.