13 April 2011

Easter Eggs

Country Living
I am not one to decorate for the holidays.  With only two of us in the house and not a lot of visitors during holidays, it never seems worth it to go through all the trouble.  So as Easter approaches, my house sits just as it is.  There has been no lack of inspiration this year however, and it's enough to almost make me want to decorate eggs.  I remember doing this as a child.  I would buy the box kit at the dime store and meticulously try to color each egg perfectly.

Now eggs seem to be a piece of art and dying them a single color is only the beginning.  I couldn't let all this inspiration go to waste, so I am want to share it with you. 

Hard boiled or empty?  I like to go for empty.  A trick my grandmother taught me was to get fresh eggs, take a large upholstery needle and poke through both ends of the shell.  Then blow out the contents of the egg into a bowl.  You can save the shell and use the eggs for breakfast. 

Better Homes and Gardens
I was very excited to see natural dye recipes this year.  I think the most comprehensive list came from the April issue of Better Homes and Gardens.  They use a variety of food to create pink, lavender, brown, blue, bluish-gray, dark pink and yellow.  You can find the how-to here. 
Big Sis Lil Sis
If you're feeling a little creative you'll be inspired by these lovely eggs.  Sonia Bauer from the blog Big Sis Lil Sis demonstrated how she makes botanical eggs by using leaves and flowers in Country Living.  In the April issue of Living, they suggest using scrapbook stickers. 
Martha Stewart Living
Country Living
One of my favorite ideas by far is this.  A message in an egg.  It's like a fortune cookie, only better. 
image by Present and Correct
We used to put our eggs in plastic baskets with fake green grass.  Somehow I think that would mask the beauty of all these eggs.  There is a great tutorial in Country Living to create your own papier-mâché baskets like the ones below.  This is such a great idea. 
Dana Gallagher for Country Living
If baskets aren't your thing, try a wood bowl like this one.  
Blissful Blog
Maybe next year I'll finally give in and create beautiful eggs.  If you've made beautiful eggs this year leave me a link in the comments.  I would love to see them.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I like the colors and the inspiration
    Cheers~Ivy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.