11 April 2011

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

The first memory I have of apple cider vinegar was at a very early age. I walked into my babysitters house and was quickly greeted with a putrid smell I thought must be the smell of death. Surely someone had died and this horrible smell was the result. The air was humid, thick, and hot. To my shock, she was canning. Canning something; I was too distraught to remember, but I knew after that she couldn't be trusted. Who on earth would eat something that smells like that? 

Apple cider vinegar is making a come back. In the April issue of Better Homes and Gardens they have a spread about chefs turning to this staple rather than it's cousins. In the last couple of years I have grown to love ACV. I don't use it a lot for cooking although it really adds a kick to Split Pea Soup (see Orangette's recipe here). I use it more like an apothecary would for common ailments. I ingest it raw and I put it on my face. Yes, you read that last part correctly. I put it on my face, raw. There are so many more uses for ACV outside of the kitchen.

1.  Due to a malfunctioning thyroid, I have adult acne. It occasionally resembles that of a hormonal teenager. Nothing has worked to remedy this problem. That is until I read all the benefits of ACV and how it naturally regulates your skin. I was a bit of a skeptic. My skin has a tendency to be on the dry side and the thought of putting such a powerful acid on my face was a bit boggling to me, but I threw judgement out the window and I tried it. I haven't stopped using it. It truly does clear up my skin and I have zero dryness issues like I used to have. I sound like an infomercial now. Trust me, it works.

2.  Allergies, upset stomach, just not feeling so hot? Shoot a good tablespoon of it daily. Just put it in a glass and chug it. Dilute it slightly if you want, or combine it with a tablespoon of honey (the superfood) and you have created a medicine that is better than any over the counter drug. Once again, trust me it works. Denise Andrade over at Boho Girl talks about her experimentation with ACV on this post in February. I am excited to see someone else in our community seeking the benefits.

3.  Pour a bath, and add a cup of ACV. Not only is it beneficial for your skin, but ladies, it will help regulate the pH of your female system. 

ACV is made from the process of fermenting apples. Just like anything you choose to put in or on your body, it's good to be conscious of how it's made. I use Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar as shown above because they use apples that have been organically grown. In fact, their website is caulk full of information on the benefits of ACV. If you need more validation jump on over to their site.

Notes:
The acid in the vinegar breaks down the enamel on your teeth so brush your teeth or rinse with clean water after you drink the vinegar.
If you are planning date night or want to cozy up to your special someone, I would lay off the vinegar astringent. They won't come near you.
The fumes can be strong when you put it on your face. Close your eyes until it soaks in your skin or they will burn, much like when you're cutting onions.

I'm not sure I'll ever get over the smell of it, but when I'd rather be putting something natural in my body that makes it a little easier to deal with.


image: Bragg Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.