10 January 2013

2013 Resolutions


Last January I posted 12 goals for the year and as I wrapped up 2012 I was amazed to see how well I did with them. Accountability has a lot to do with it.  Posting them in such a public place put pressure on me to follow through.  So I've decided to do the same for 2013, adding one more goal to the year.

My list and this year, my reasons.

1.  REDUCE EXCESS
This means no shopping.  No purchasing of unnecessary clothing, housewares, etc.  We live in a very disposable society.  Everywhere you turn there is a new product lurking with a message trying to convince you why you need it or need to replace what you already have.  My world has become quantity over quality.   
My closet is full of clothes I hardly wear.  My cupboards are stuffed with items I haven't used in a year.  So, unless there is an item I truly need (i.e. running shoes because I will not damage my body with bad shoes) I will not purchase anything I do not need.  In addition, I will be sorting through every inch of my home and donating the excess.
2. CREATE A DAILY RITUAL
A daily practice, particularly in the morning, is creative and inspiring, and all around healthy.  My goal is start each day with sun salutations, meditative walks with Annie, and loads of affirmations.  I want to start the day with the right frame of mind. 

3.  UNPLUG
When cell phones became the newest technology I was not convinced it would make my life better.  It took me a long time to finally get one, and then when I did, I rarely carried it around or used it.  My friend BR can attest to this.  Now I use it all the time.  Also, when I'm cooking or cleaning around the house, I sometimes turn on the t.v. to news or trashy shows just to have background noise.   
Well, if we are what we eat, we are what we watch and listen to as well.  I will focus on listening to music more and no longer tune into the t.v. for noise.  And, I will no longer have my cell phone within reach when I'm out and about.  I would rather engage with the checkout gal then filter through my twitter feed.  

4.  FIND A NATUROPATHIC DOCTOR
I'm really over conventional medicine.  Last year I had some crazy allergy thing that knocked me out.  cc didn't want to get sick so I went to the doctor to figure out what was going on.  In less than five minutes, without getting all the information on my symptoms, I was prescribed a z-pack.   
I want a doctor that gets to the heart of the problem and doesn't just treat the symptoms.  Also, I am interested in determining whether there is a path I can take to eliminate my thyroid medication.  A naturopath doctor has a med degree but will try natural remedies before turning to conventional medicine.

5.  FIND A MENTOR
This one is big because I rarely ask for help.  Between feeling insecure in my abilities and not wanting to air those or knowing I can do it myself, I just don't ask.  This is obviously horrible thinking so I will be searching for guidance this year.

6.  BUILD FRIENDSHIPS
I struggle with relationships because I don't put myself out there very well.  It is easier to do in this space because I can't see your face, but real time is a different story.  My goal is to work on that this year.

7.  START A SIDE BUSINESS
I have really wanted to do this for a while.  I love to teach and I love being creative.  I have many ideas in mind and I am looking forward to this goal the most. 

8.  MOVE EVERYDAY
Yoga, run, walk with Annie, hike.  Whatever it looks like, for 30 minutes a day I need to move. 

9.  BE PRESENT
I am searching for a quiet spirit.  I'm always thinking ahead, planning my next move and I want to focus on just sitting in the moment and not worry about yesterday or tomorrow.  

10.  INTENTIONAL COMMUNICATION
Another biggie this year.  I curse.  I use poor grammar, and I can be a debbie downer.  I have gotten comfortable, maybe even a little lazy in how I speak and I realized I don't want that to be a piece of my legacy.  Silence is golden. 

11.  BE CONFIDENT
I believe there is wisdom in carrying an air of confidence.  Not egotistically, but rather, comfortable in my own skin.  

12.  HONE A NEW SKILL
I am a life long learner and I am happiest when I am learning something new.  This year I would like to focus on skill set that I can add to my tool box. 

13.  DO ONE THING THAT SCARES ME
This was #12 on last year's list.  To be honest, I put it on the list because I didn't have anything else, but it is the one goal that stuck with me the most.  I enjoyed it immensely, and so I am adding it again for 2013.   

Cheers to a new year and a fresh start.  Any resolutions for you this year?

9 comments:

  1. ab*

    loving your list! toasting to it + cheering for you.

    thank you for sharing your light here.

    warmly,
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement Meg.

      Delete
  2. this is a great list! I love start a side business, that sounds exciting and fun :) I posted my word for the year over at the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your word as well Fiona. I just jumped over to view your blog. Enrich embodies so many qualities. Good luck with it.

      Delete
  3. great list! personally, i am not sure what i want for the year. i have so many unofficial goals.-more presences, more adventure, more confidence, less twitter, less stuff, more knitting, more reading and definitely more homemade food. personally, i love your number first goal. the hubs and i talked about not purchasing anything new unless it was from a thrift store. i am sick of stuff.
    lol, i was complaining to my coworkers about the zpack for everything. it's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keishua! You have great ideas as well. I especially like more homemade food and thrifting vs. new.

      Yes, the z-pack seems to solve everything. ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this list! One and Two caught me right from the start. I couldn't agree more. I can also relate to number 12 as well. I love learning new things too.

    Great blog!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby,
    Please don't misunderstand this comment. Before you commit to a Naturopath, consider a Homeopath.
    I believe you will be pleasantly supprised with the results.

    Warmly,
    Joette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I will certainly research it. Thank you.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.