28 January 2013

Aunt Jenny's Quilt


I was very blessed at Christmas and I received many wonderful gifts, but I have to say that my favorite, by far, was the family quilt my mother gave me.  It brought me to tears.  I don't know why I'm so sentimental when it comes to family heirlooms, but I view them as prized possessions.  I suppose there is a sense of belonging nestled in them.

Aunt Jenny is the sister of my my maternal great-grandmother's father.  To make it easier it's Gram's aunt.  She had no children of her own, but many of Gram's sisters and brothers have items of Aunt Jenny's.  We don't know much about her or her brothers and sisters other than my great grandfather so mom and I have decided to travel back to Nebraska this summer and do a little genealogy research.  I am really looking forward to recording the history before it's lost.  


The other special part of the gift is that it suits me perfectly.  The quilt, although it is is full of stitch detail, is plain in design.  Almost as if this quilt was meant to land in my home.  No flowers.  No frills.  Just like me.


I am on a mission to display this quilt in a unique way.  It is stained and tattered in some areas and I don't dare clean it.  How can I display it without using a traditional quilt rack?  A rack doesn't suit my design style.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I love the quilt . I have used a gentle soak of a product called Restortaion Quilt Soak. To display , I like to drape mine over the back of my sofa. there are also small quit hangers for the wall that grip the quilt , no rod pocket necessary.
    so happy for you that it came into your hands.
    Kathy form SAW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I am happy it came into my hands as well! I like the idea of quilt hanger. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.