30 January 2013

BYG: Ordering Seeds


I can't believe I am already thinking about my summer garden!  It is actually time to start a few seeds indoors and begin working the soil to prepare the beds for spring.   

Before all that begins, however, I have to start with the foundation.  The seeds.  Where I purchase seeds is vital.  I always choose seeds from seed savers exchange.  They are a little pricey, but they are safe seeds.  Meaning they are not genetically modified or owned in any way by Monsanto. 

I haven't been outspoken a lot in this space about Monsanto, but I do have a disdain for the company.  I believe they are destroying America one seed at a time.  Below are four tips and resources to help you find a safe seed company that fits your needs.

taken from The Healthy Home Economist blog 
  1. Avoid buying from the seed companies affiliated with Monsanto.  The link is a list of these seed companies
  2. Buy from this list of companies Monsanto HASN’T bought and are not affiliated or do business with Seminis  
  3. Avoid certain heirloom varieties because Monsanto now apparently owns the names. This article lists the seed varieties to avoid
  4. Ask seed companies if they have taken the Safe Seed Pledge.  The link lists companies that have done so
I plan to do things a little differently in my garden this year.  I'm only going to plant what I really want to eat as well as one wild card.  I used to think I should plant everything and give away the excess or what I didn't really want. Gardening became more of a chore, so I've decided that I'll buy the vegetables from the farmers market that I like to eat on occasion and grow what we consume most of the time.

What are your plans for your garden this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.