17 October 2011

Design*Sponge At Home in Dallas

Last week I had the pleasure of meeting Grace Bonney from Design*Sponge during her book tour in Dallas.  She is such a charismatic person.  When I first heard about the tour I was thrilled that there was going to be a craft event prior to the signing.  I was one of the lucky few that got a spot and the opportunity to interact with her.  Creative people are endearing and always inspiring. 
We did a DIY project from the book that involved freezer paper, but there was a major iron debacle.  It ended up taking longer than expected because the participants had to share 2 irons.  Aside from that, it was a lot of fun and Grace and her team did a great job improvising and making it work.  We all walked away with personalized cloth napkins and a signed copy of the book.

What I love about this book is how versatile it is.  Not only does it give examples of great design, it also has several DIY projects (including the one made above), as well as before and after shots.  The projects are broken down into easy tutorials, and it will make you want to redo your entire home. 

I also love the repurposing of items aspect.  There are many creative ideas in the book that take something old and turn it into something new and fabulous.  After spending a lot of time in the pages of this book this weekend my craft list just got a little longer.

On another note, thanks to West Elm for hosting.  There were several pieces in the store that were begging to come home with me, but I probably need furniture first, right?  Oh, and rumor has it we just missed Jeff Lewis.  He had been in the store earlier in the afternoon.  That would have been fun. 

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.