18 October 2011

Home Tour: Mud Room

The last part of the house to get painted was our back entry off the garage, which I call the mud room.  I've always wanted a mud room.  A place that houses coats, shoes, bags, and other miscellaneous items that otherwise get stacked on the kitchen table.  The built in already existed.  I debated changing it, but I think I'll stick with it awhile to figure out exactly what I do want. 
The walls and trim received a color face lift.  For uniformity, the walls were painted Classic Gray and the trim in Chantilly Lace, which are the same Benjamin Moore colors we used in the kitchen.  The door to the garage doesn't have any molding so I decided to turn it into a message center by creating a magnetic chalkboard.  My first post is an "i love you" note from one of my favorite girls.  It was addressed to me, and I think I should frame it.  It's too cute.  FYI she is only four.

I also added a colored bench seat protector.  I didn't want a cushion, but I knew the white paint would get scratched so I covered a piece of cardboard cut to fit the space.  It will protect the bench without the bulkiness of a cushion.  I like that I can change it out when I get tired of the pattern. 

Notice the cat door?  Since the litter boxes are in the garage the cats needed their own door.  I want to figure out how to incorporate the door into art, but in the meantime, I'm pointing out the obvious. 

Future changes include finding baskets that fit the alcoves under the bench, possibly changing out the tile and finding a colorful rug.  Right now the rug is more for function than aesthetics.  It catches a lot of dirt and debris. 

Since this was the last space to be painted I think we can now officially say it's official!  Bring on the furniture.

JUMP TO...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.